Thanks to two saints, St. John Bosco and St. Mary Domenica Mazzarello, the Salesian Sisters came into being in 1872 in Mornese, a little mountain village of northern Italy.
the first four Salesian sisters arrive to the United States New York.
The Salesian Sisters of St. John Bosco had owned and occupied the historic Sesnon-Porter home in Aptos, where they ran a high school for candidates and a thriving summer camp. But Cabrillo Community College needed the property for expansion, and the Sisters had to sell. That’s when, relying on God’s help, they discovered and purchased that hidden-away, undeveloped plot of land in the foothills of Corralitos.
The Sisters, had transformed their scrubby hillside. They had built four multipurpose cabins, a kitchen, and a cafeteria, basketball and tennis courts, a swimming pool, and a playfield. A novitiate to train young women wanting to become Sisters was established and a summer camp started. Thus, “Mary Help of Christians Youth Center” was born.
It was finally decided to have a K-8 school, but to begin with Grades 5 through 8, plus kinder and Grade 1, and to fill in the gap year by year. The Sisters would have to wait another 12 years for their convent, but they had the joy of seeing the school building completed and open for business by September 1, 1978.
Salesian School began its 30th year of existence. God’s blessings, and many sacrifices on the part of the Sisters and lay teachers, as well as of the school’s friends and patrons, have brought the school into existence and have kept it going over the years, but the cooperation of all and the accomplishments and spirit of the students have made it all worthwhile.
Salesian Elementary and Junior High is on the verge of celebrating our 40th year of serving hundreds of youth.